OCCUPATIONAL SAFETY AND HEALTH DEPARTMENT
NAVAL HOSPITAL, CAMP LEJEUNE
Marine Corps Base, Camp Lejeune, NC 28547-2538
Main Number: 450-3179
Fax: (910) 450-3803
Hours of Operation
Monday through Friday, 0700 – 1600 except Holidays
MISSION AND SCOPE OF SERVICES
Responsible for maintaining complete oversight of the occupational health and safety programs and supports the entire Camp Lejeune complex by providing comprehensive surveys of work and anticipating, recognizing, evaluating, and making recommendations to control and/or eliminate potential workplace exposures to chemical, biological and physical hazards.
- To work in a safe and healthful place
- To report unsafe or unhealthful work conditions
- To decline to work in an unsafe environment
- To request safety inspections
- To present problems to the Environmental Council
- To review copies of NAVOSH standards, records of safety and health committees and their actions and recommendations, and other various documents on the Command safety and occupational health program.
- Comply with NAVOSH standards and all applicable rules, regulations, and orders.
- Report recognized workplace hazards.
- Report immediately to their supervisor any injuries, occupational illness, or property damage resulting from a mishap.
- Set the example
- Conduct inspections
- Acknowledge safety behavior
- Investigate and report mishaps
- Enforce safety rules and regulations
- Correct unsafe/unhealthful conditions
- Provide personal protective equipment
- Report all mishaps to the Safety Office
- At all levels, the immediate supervisor has the greatest influence on mishap and hazard reporting.
- Evaluate chemicals utilized – consider substitution with safer products if possible
- Keep an updated Authorized Use List (AUL)
- Keep Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) on file and accessible
- Inform all employees before their initial assignment or whenever a new hazardous chemicalis introduced into their work area
- Train employees how to obtain and use a MSDS
- Train employees how to identify and protect themselves from chemical hazards
- Train employees how to recognize the physical and health hazards of chemicals in their Workspace.
- DOCUMENT ALL TRAINING
For more information and pertinent safety-related forms, please refer to the Hospital, Camp Lejeune Occupational Safety and Health Dept at (910)450-3179.