Skip to main content


Appointments & Refills
Info for Patients & Community
Info for Health Care Providers
Info for the Fleet
Coming to Okinawa?
Hospital Report Card
Contact Us
Notice of Privacy Practices

Birth Certificates

Armed Services Blood Bank Center

FacebookFind us on Facebook
TwitterFollow us on Twitter
Can't find the number you're looking for?  Call our information desk (open 24 hours a day) at 646-7555. Dialing Instructions
Home > Info for Patients & Community > Birth Certificates

Replacement Birth Certificates for US Citizens Born Overseas

"Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America", Form FS-240, is a record of birth of a U.S. citizen abroad maintained by the U.S. State Department. It is not a birth certificate, such as issued by a government-authorized bureau or office of vital statistics, as a consular commission does not empower consular officers to assume a foreign local or state vital statistics function. A similar document entitled "Certification of Report of Birth abroad", Form DS-1350, is also issued by the State Department.

While these two forms are not traditional birth certificates, they serve many of the same functions. For example, they can be used as proof of U.S. citizenship, in applying for a passport, a replacement social security card, in registering children for school, obtaining employment, and for similar purposes.

The "Certification of Report of Birth" can be obtained by submitting a written request to the Department of State. This document will only be provided to the individual (child) named in the document, the individual's parents, the individual's legal guardian, or a person who submits written authorization from the individual of the certification of birth. The fee is $30.00 for the first copy, $20.00 for additional copies requested at the same time. The fee is payable in U.S. funds by check or bank draft drawn on a U.S. bank, money order or U.S. currency.

Duplicate copies of "Consular Report of Birth" are not issued, however, when a "Consular Report of Birth" is lost, stolen, mutilated, or accidentally destroyed, a person may obtain a replacement by submitting a written request to the Department of State. The fee is $30.00, payable in U.S. funds by check or bank draft drawn on a U.S. bank, money order or U.S. currency.

The written request for a "Certification of Report of Birth" or a "Consular Report of Birth" must be notarized and must include a copy of valid photo identification of the requestor. The written request must also include the following information:

  1. Date of the request
  2. Purpose of the request
  3. Current mailing address and daytime telephone number
  4. Which document you are requesting, "Certification of Report of Birth" or "Consular Report of Birth"
  5. Number of copies (if requesting "Certification of Report of Birth")
  6. Full name of child at birth (plus any adoptive names)
  7. Date and place of birth
  8. Names of parents with place and date of birth
  9. Serial number, if known, of the FS-240 (on those issued after November 1, 1990)
  10. Any available passport information of the child and parents
  11. Copy of original document to aid in search, if available
  12. Original FS-240 (in the case of mutilation) or notarized affidavit for a replacement FS-240 setting forth the circumstances surrounding the loss, theft, or mutilation of the previous document
  13. Notarized signature of requester

Include the appropriate fee with the request and mail to the following address:

U.S. Department of State
Vital Records Section
Passport Services
1111 19th Street, NW, Suite 510
Washington, D.C. 20522-1705

Requirements sometimes change - for the most up-to-date information, please visit the State Department web site:

Official US Navy Website US Navy Recruiting No Fear Patient's Bill of Rights
Accessibility/Section 508 Freedom of Information Act Privacy Policy Contact Us