Skip to main content


Appointments & Refills
Info for Patients & Community
Info for Health Care Providers
Info for the Fleet
Coming to Okinawa?
Hospital Report Card
Contact Us
Notice of Privacy Practices

Birth Registration

Armed Services Blood Bank Center

FacebookFind us on Facebook
TwitterFollow us on Twitter
Can't find the number you're looking for?  Call our information desk (open 24 hours a day) at 646-7555. Dialing Instructions
Home > Info for Patients & Community > Birth Registration

Birth Registration and Certificates

Phone: 646-7688
Calling from off-base or cell phone: 098-971-7688.
Dialing Instructions
Hours: 0730-1500 Mon-Fri Location: 1st Floor, Naval Hospital, Camp Foster

Effective Feb 16, 2010
All passport applicants must utilize the online Passport Application Wizard:  We will no longer accept handwritten passport applications.  Please complete your passport application online prior to your appointment.  Please print out the completed, unsigned application and bring it with you on the day of your appointment.

Click here for a consolidated list of all required forms.

The birth registration process is a step-by-step process and the importance of prompt registration cannot be over-emphasized. Please note that this process is conducted on a case-by-case basis. Therefore, some parents may require more or less documentation than is stated in the link below. Expecting mothers should begin by viewing the online Birth Abroad Brief offered by the Patient Administration department. Click here for the online Birth Abroad Brief presentation. Click here for the DS-11 form guidance/instruction.

Expecting mothers should attend the “OB tour” offered by the OB/GYN Clinic. All infants born at this hospital to parents who are United States citizens must be registered with the American Consulate. The Birth Registration Office will assist you and coordinate with the American Consulate to ensure prompt registration.

It is very important to start the passport process as soon as your child is born. Usually it takes about one to two months. All military personnel and SOFA status holders must start the process at the Naval Hospital, Birth Registration Office on Camp Lester.

New Update of your Child Passports (March 7, 2008)

No-fee Passports. A passport is issued to DoD military and civilian personnel and their family members carrying out official duties. The no-fee passport carries an endorsement identifying the bearer as an agent of the U.S. Government proceeding abroad on official travel. The Birth Registration Office staff are no longer authorized and empowered by the Secretary of State, the DoD Executive Agent (for DoD Passport and Passport Agent Services), or the Secretaries of the Military Departments to accept “No-fee” passport applications and perform “No-fee” passport services to include administering oaths for “No-fee” passport purposes (22 CFR 51.2). For further guidance refer DoD Directive, SUBJECT: DoD Passport and Passport Agent Services, NUMBER 1000.21

DOD passport services are available to DOD personnel and family members at the following places:

Service Personnel Offices:           Dialing Instructions

  •  USMC: I-PAC, Camp Foster, DSN: 645-2114/4114
  •  USAF: 18TH MPF, Kadena AB, 632-0446
  •  USN: PSD, Kadena AB, 634-6322/6323
  •  USA: 10th ASG, Torii Station, 644-4328

The Birth Registration Office will continue to accept the Tourist Passport applications (Cost the Tourist Passport is $105.00 Money Order) and the Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States   Applications (Certificate Fee $100.00).

Baby's Birth Certificate
The Naval Hospital can assist you with paperwork and answer your questions. Once all the required documents are in order, they will be sent to the US Consulate General in Naha. The State Department will then create the baby's Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) and passport.

Getting your baby's CRBA and passport requires original documents. Why? The passport and CRBA prove your baby is a US citizen. Also, your child will use these documents for the rest of his/her life. By law, the consulate cannot process your baby's passport and CRBA application until the original documentation is complete.

You will need to provide the following documentation: Parent(s) proof of U.S. citizenship, proof of your baby's birth, proof of parents' marriage, proof of termination of all prior marriages of both parents, application for a passport application, baby's two identical photos and fees. These all have to be original documents, and usually have a raised seal. Unfortunately we cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies.

Baby's Passport
In creating a U.S. passport, the photograph must to be scanned into a computer. These state-of-the-art passports are called "photo-digitized" and are difficult to counterfeit. It is very important to have clear and focused passport photos. For children, this can be challenging.

  • Please make sure to prepare 2" x 2" (5cm x 5cm) photos with a white background
  • The head size measured from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head should not be less than 1 inch and not more than 1-3/8 inches.
  • Your child's eyes should be open in the photo.
  • The baby's face in the photo should be clear and well focused.

It usually takes about 6 - 8 weeks to obtain a passport.  You will need to present the Child’s Consular Report of Birth (CRBA) when applying for the passport. If you have had or will have your baby, please make sure to start the process at the Naval Hospital Birth Registration Office as soon as possible.  It is your responsibility to make sure your child is ready to travel with you.

Baby's Social Security Number

To apply for your child’s Social Security Card, download and complete Form SS-5.  

The Social Security Card will be sent directly to your PSC box or other mailing address you provide.  Allow at least 2-8 weeks for processing time.

For questions regarding this process, send email to

If you are a military dependent or a U.S. citizen working on a U.S. military post, you may also go to the Post Adjutant or Personnel Office. For frequently Asked Questions regarding Social Security Numbers, click here.

Other Information and Resources
You may contact the Birth Registration Office via email at

Click here for Frequently Asked Questions about the birth registration process.

For more in-depth information regarding the Birth Registration process click here.

Information on requesting a replacement "Birth Certificate" for those born at the hospital here on Camp Lester (Kuwae) or the previous Army hospital at Camp Mercy can be found here.


Official US Navy Website US Navy Recruiting No Fear Patient's Bill of Rights
Accessibility/Section 508 Freedom of Information Act Privacy Policy Contact Us