In order to be eligible to volunteer at U.S. Naval Hospital Okinawa, Japan you must:
- Be at least 18 year of age
- Be a SOFA status ID card holder
- Be a U.S. citizen
To volunteer, you must complete the following:
- Red Cross New Volunteer application
- Attend ARC Orientation (contact our office for orientation dates)
- OR contact our hospital office at 646-9985 to learn about specific opportunities
Medical Assistant Program & Pharmacy Technician Program
The American Red Cross and U.S. Naval Hospital Okinawa, Japan also offer the Medical Assistant Program and the Pharmacy Technician Program. These unique programs will teach you some new skills and could lead to a career in health care.
The Medical Assistant Program will teach you the basic skills necessary to work at the hospital. It includes 2 weeks of intense classroom training followed by 300 hours of clinical training. This is a non-licensing course.
Pharmacy Technician Program
The Pharmacy Technician Program teaches the basic skills needed to work at the hospital pharmacy. It includes 10 weeks of at home study followed by 6 weeks of clinical training. While this is a non-licensing course, you will be able to take the national exam after this program.
To participate in the Medical Assistant Program or the Pharmacy Technician Program you must:
- be a U.S. Citizen
- be a SOFA status ID card holder and at least 18 years of age
- Have a High school diploma or GED
- Have 18 months or more time left on the island to ensure completion of the program
The American Red Cross manages the hospital’s volunteer program and welcomes you to volunteer your time and energy. The hospital Red Cross office is a satellite of the main office located on Camp Foster.
The American Red Cross on Camp Foster can be reached at 645-3800.