Reporting aboard U.S. Naval Hospital Rota can be a smooth process: advance planning and preparation is the key!
1 - Request a sponsor, Visit our Welcome Letter page to know how.
2 - Complete your overseas suitability screening, sponsor, and all dependents relocating.
3 - Request a No-Fee Passport (even if you currently have a tourist passport.)
4 -Make a list of key telephone numbers at your next duty station.
5 - Schedule shipment of personal property.
6 - Shipping a vehicle? Locate the nearest VPC to ship your vehicle with International Auto Logistics:
7 - Notify your landlord, rental agent, or Housing Office of Permanent Change of Station (PCS) orders. Give written notice if there is a military clause in your lease.
8 - Begin a calendar for your move. Set timelines to help organize yourself. Include items to remember.
9 - Budget your move. Call your Finance Office or Personnel Service Detachment (PSD) to discuss your travel pay options.
10 - Arrange travel. Think about your pets. The country of Spain has certain restrictions on dangerous pets and size limits. Depending on the temperature during the summer months please bear in mind that your pets may not be able to fly with you. Call PSD and let them know the size of your pet. Your pet has to be included in your orders.
Documents to Bring
• 3 Copies of orders
• Overseas Suitability Screening for sponsor, and all relocating dependents signed and completed
• Military ID
• Health records (including immunizations)
• Dental record
• Service record
• Birth certificate(s)
• Marriage certificate/ Divorce Decree
• Power of attorney
• Personal will
• Citizenship/Naturalization papers
• Bank books
• Insurance cards - Proof of International Insurance "Green Card"
• Car registration, title, and license plate registered to shipped vehicle
• Social security cards
• Credit card records
• Voter registration
• Emergency data information
• School records/transcripts/IEP
• Leave and earning statement
• Transportation, shipping, & storage documents ( Shippers Insurance, Lien letter, and Vehicle shipping confirmation number from VPC)
• State and federal records
• Travel Passport - Active Duty + No Fee Passports - Dependents
• Pets health certificate must be current (within 10 days) before your flight
• Currently renewed Driver's License
** Motorcycle endorsement must reflect 2 years experience
from issue date for eligibility in Spain.**
• Professional Licensure and certifications
• Life support cards (BLS, ACLS, PALS, TNCC, Conscious Sedation)
Please Note- Renters Insurance may be purchased to cover
belongings brought to Spain. Confirm new address at time of move in to new
You can travel either by CAT-B (military flights) from Norfolk, VA to Rota Spain or by commercial flights (final destination Jerez, Spain; Airport code XRY).
Jerez airport is about 30 minutes away from the base.
Driving directions from Jerez de La Frontera Airport to Base Naval de Rota.
Carretera N-IV, km. 628.5
11401 Jerez de la Frontera, Cádiz, Spain
956 15 00 00
1. Head southwest
Go through 1 roundabout 1.1 km
2. Slight left toward A-4
3. At the roundabout, take the 2nd exit onto the A-4 ramp 350 m
4. Continue onto A-4 12.1 km
5. Take exit 641AB to merge onto A-480 toward Sanlúcar de Barrameda/Chipiona/Rota 3.0 km
6. Take exit 22 toward A-2078/Rota 260 m
7. Continue onto A-2078 11.3 km
8. Turn right onto A-491 5.5 km
9. Take the exit toward A-2075/Rota (Sur) 220 m
10. Continue onto A-2075 4.8 km
Go through 1 roundabout
11. At the roundabout, take the 1st exit onto Plaza del Triunfo 100 m
12. At the roundabout, take the 4th exit and stay on Plaza del Triunfo 150 m
13. Turn right onto Av. Crucero Baleares 850 m
Make sure your sponsor is aware of your arrival date. Commercial taxi can be expensive (day time hours: 36 euros; night time hours: 44 euros). Save all your receipts.
Bringing your pets with you to Rota
The veterinary certificate may be filled out by any veterinarian accredited by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, USDA/APHIS, under the National Veterinary Accreditation Program, NVAP. However, once filled out, the certificate must be endorsed by an Official Veterinary employed by the Veterinary Services, Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (VS/APHIS) of the Department of Agriculture. All military vets are VS/APHIS accredited.
Spain doesn't recognize the 2-year rabies vaccine, so if you plan on getting your pet a passport once you get here, the animal will have to be re-vaccinated.
The Veterinary Clinic phone number is:
PCS TO SPAIN.docx
PCS to US.docx
Navy Lodge (Bldg. 1674) check-in is at 1500, so if you arrive early in the morning, your room may not be ready. Make sure you have a reservation at the Navy Lodge the day before your arrival date. Rates are about $75.00/day.
BOQ check-in after 1300. Rates vary by rank from $35.00 (O1-O-4) $56.00 (VIP Suites - O-5) $70.00 (O-6 and above)
Temporary housing may also be available prior to your arrival. You sponsor needs to make that arrangement for you.