The Legal Advisor officer is responsible under the Commander, NMETLC for
providing legal and policy advise to the Commander in all matters concerning
military justice, administrative law, environment law, ethics, claims, admiralty,
operational and international law, litigation and legal assistance. The NMETLC
Legal Advisor officer helps develop the leadership, confidence, and experience
of the command as a legal professional.
- Providing consultation, direction, and support to NMETLC Staff on health law, military law, administrative law, civil law, government ethics, personnel law, command investigations, and other laws and regulations.
- Providing consultation and advise to NMETLC staff and subordinate commands and facilities worldwide on controversial and complex medical-legal and bioethics topics.
- Managing the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) and providing oversight of Privacy Act (PA) issues. Provide legal advice on FOIA, PA, and Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) matters. Investigates and takes corrective actions, as appropriate, if personally identifiable information is improperly used, disclosed, or otherwise compromised.
- Reviewing and providing guidance on memoranda of understanding and support agreements.
Managing the Adverse Privileging Program for NMETLC. Provide procedural guidance to Privileging Authorities on adverse privileging actions. Perform NMETLC legal review for due process compliance; prepare NMETLC recommendations on appeals. Respond to inquires from state licensing boards, regulatory agencies, and hospital employers on healthcare providers with an adverse record at any national or defense data bank.
- Reviewing and providing legal opinions on command investigations, hotline complaints, litigation reports, and miscellaneous legal matters.