Welcome to ASTC Norfolk, VA
What to Bring
NOTE!! Naval Aviation Survival Training is physically demanding, HIGH RISK and VOLUNTARY training. Students are STRONGLY advised to NOT participate in any vigorous or strenuous activity 48 hours prior to participation in training. Students are also advised to ensure they are well hydrated prior to training. Candidates may request a Training Time Out or Drop on Request at any time or for any reason.
Requirements for Training
Class Check-in begins at 0715. All personnel reporting to ASTC Norfolk for training must present the following:
All students for NASTP training must have the following:
- Designated Aviators, Aircrew or Initial Aircrew Candidates must report with a current Aeromedical Clearance Notice (NAVMED 6410/2). "Up-Chits" must indicate that candidates are PQ and AA for Duty Involving Operational Flying, or clearly state PQ/AA for Naval Aviation Survival Training. In addition, Aircrew should present their NATOPS Training Jackets so that the training may be documented properly, though this is not required.
- All students shall be Medically Screened by questionnaire upon reporting to the ASTC.
All candidates for water survival training must be able to swim; documented by one of the following:
- Previous NAPTP/NAWSTP Survival Program Qualification;
- For Initial Aircrew candidates(NP2/N5) and Selected Passengers (NP3/N3), a U.S. Navy Second Class Swim qualification or better.
- For Project Specialist (NP4/N4), Midshipmen (NP7/N2), and VIP (NP8/N2), a qualification of U.S. Navy Third Class swim qualification, or better.
NOTE: Individual candidate swim tests and screenings shall only be done during N-8 Training by prior appointment.
Uniform of the Day:
- All students must report in uniform.
- Flight suits are accepted and encouraged.
- Utilities are acceptable.
- Class C uniforms are always acceptable.
- Do Not report for training in civilian clothing or inappropriate uniform attire (Organizational clothing, PT gear, work clothes, etc.)
Bring a towel, swimsuit, and contact lenses kit, if needed (Swim goggles are NOT authorized for any Water testing evolutions). Typically, pool evolutions are conducted on the FIRST day, however, be prepared to be in the pool on both days.