Validation of Computer-Based Color Vision Tests for Use in Naval Aviation
· Color-rich informational displays in modern military aircraft have increased color-discrimination
· OBJECTIVE: Evaluate new color-vision tests and develop selection criteria for use in aviation
candidate screening. NAMRU-D research has resulted in NAMI & CNAF recommendations to adopt
three new color-vision tests 1st Qtr FY17.
Laser Veiling Glare and Laser Eye Protection (LEP)
· Increasingly powerful hand-held laser pose a threat to
aviation safety when they are used to illuminate aircraft cockpits
· Collaborate with AFRL/RXAP to produce/evaluate USCG & USN LEP solutions.
· OBJECTIVE: Evaluate laser eye protection solutions designed for, a) mitigating veiling glare, b) night
use, c) NVG/HUD compatibility, and d) NIR threat protection.
Impact of Low-level Neurotoxin Exposure on Aircrew Performance
· Non-lethal neurotoxin exposure (e.g., sarin/soman) poses a threat to aircrew.
· Related acetylcholinesterase inhibition induces miosis and accommodative spasm.
· OBJECTIVE: Partner with DTRA and AFRL/RHXM to valuate aviation, NVG, and marksmanship
performance using a FDA-approved surrogate with labeled use to induce miosis.