Is one of the key components of the Virology & Emerging Infections Department. This unit was created in 2014 as a result of the merge of two programs, to ensure quality assurance of laboratory results.
● Provide quality and reliable laboratory results
● Llaboratory staff training
● Coordinate with principal investigators and collaborates the provision of laboratory quality support for viral infections diagnosis through its three major diagnostic components: Molecular diagnostics, serological assays, and virus isolation.
● Accomplish high quality PCR for diagnostic of major arbovirus, alphavirus, flavivirus and hantavirus among others
● The molecular area is accredited by the College of American Pathologist for influenza diagnostic
● Serological diagnostic test includes: Direct and indirect in-house developed ELISAs with antigen and antibody production
● The gold standard for dengue serology is performed: Plaque Reduction Neutralization Test (PRNT)
● Virus isolation is performed in a biosafety level-3 (BSL-3) laboratory with restricted access