HEalthcare benefits

I Received a Medical Bill - What Do I do with It?

If you are a Prime Active Duty Service Member or Active Duty Family member and you receive a Medical Billing, please contact our staff (See contact info on right) as soon as possible and we will help to rectify the situation.

Debt Collections

Should you need to discuss or pay a debt, please contact our staff (POC info at right.)

Travel Claims

Prime Travel Benefit Program assists Prime enrollees with expenses incurred for medically necessary non-emergency scheduled specialty care more than 100 miles (one way) from the Primary Care Manager’s (PCM) office.  If your PCM is a civilian call Tricare-East at 1-844-204-9351. Appointment confirmation from the facility must be submitted each time along with the TRICARE PRIME TRAVEL BENEFIT INTAKE FORM. Submit this information before you travel! Required Documentation consists of the Intake Form and appointment confirmation from the facility.