U.S. Naval Hospital Guantanamo Bay is a highly trained team of healthcare professionals responsible to keep those who serve Naval Station Guantanamo Bay and their families healthy, ready and on the job.
● We are a family of 250. In order to best care for our town of 5500, it is imperative that we take care of ourselves and each other. We must treat each other with the dignity and respect that we each deserve. We also need to be ready, willing and able to support each other. What we do is hard work, and we all need a helping hand from time to time.
● Do it like you mean it. High personal and professional standards are critical to our success. Integrity, accountability, initiative and toughness are the core attributes that will foster the trust and confidence required to meet the mission.
● Say “yes” to the maximum extent possible. Service excellence for our beneficiaries and our co-workers is expected; they deserve it, and they have earned it.
● Measure something meaningful. Quality care...it’s assumed by our beneficiaries. As healthcare professionals, we are well trained and prepared to provide the best care possible to our patients. However, we cannot assume that everything that we do leads to the desired optimal result. We must be vigilant in assessing our processes and outcomes at all levels of the organization and benchmark our performance with the best of the best wherever and whenever we can.
● “Because that’s the way we have always done it” is rarely the right answer to why we do the things that we do. It’s usually an indicator of lack of knowledge or laziness. At all times we should be looking for ways to better our spaces, our processes, and ourselves.
● Don’t hurt anyone. Preventable and avoidable errors are a scourge on the healthcare profession and must be eliminated. Every day we should be asking ourselves “what’s the next thing that will go wrong” in our work space that will result in harm. High reliability is our goal. A commitment from leadership at all levels, a genuine culture of safety, and an environment that values performance improvement is how we will get there.
● Have fun! Take time to enjoy the uniqueness of NSGB and what it has to offer.
Less than 1% of Americans have answered the call to serve their country and wear the nation’s cloth. Be proud of what you do. Let’s strive to do our very best every day. I am honored to be a part of USNH GB and to serve you as your Skipper.