Navy Expeditionary Medical Support Command's DEPMEDS provide standardized, modular, scalable combat service support and medical/dental capabilities to an advanced base environment across the entire range of joint military operations. These DEPMEDS consist of the Expeditionary Medical Facility (EMF) hospitals and Forward Deployed Preventive Medicine Units (FDPMU).
EMF′s Clinical Capabilities include:
- Combat Casualty Receiver
- Advanced Lab, Radiology, Pharmacy, Blood Bank
- ICU and Acute Care Services
- OR Surgery - Each table is capable of performing 9 surgeries per day. Surgeries include:
- Trauma, abdominal and vascular
- OB/GYN and Orthopedic
- Thoracic, eye, and neurosurgery
- Preventative Medicine
EMFs are self sustaining with its own Base Operating Support (BOS) services!
FDPMUs provide force health protection by rapidly assessing, preventing and controlling health threats in a theater of operations and enhancing organic preventive medicine assets. FDPMUs are comprised of five components:
- Preventive medicine
- Chemical and radiological
- Disease vector
- Logistics and administrative support
FDPMUs are staffed preventive medicine and occupational health scientists, microbiologists, epidemiologists, and advanced laboratory and preventive medicine technicians.