Location: First Floor
Telephone: (361) 961-6000
Hours: Monday - Friday: 0730-1630. Closed Saturdays, Sundays & Holidays.
Appointments: NOTICE: All active duty, dependents & retirees are welcome.
Uniform of the day will be required to be seen in the clinic. If you are on leave, you must have a copy of your leave papers.
Appointments for active duty and Tricare Prime can be booked in person or by calling (361) 961-6000.
No appointments are available on Thursday afternoon due to staff training.
Report 15 minutes prior to your scheduled appointment for screening tests.
Patients reporting later than 5 minutes after their scheduled appointment will be rescheduled.
Please bring your medical record, ID card, glasses & contact lenses when reporting for appointments.
Tricare Prime patients are eligible for one eye exam every 2 years. If an appointment is not available within 28 days, a list of local doctors who take Tricare Prime is available at the Optometry Clinic front desk.
Optometry Clinic Mission Statement
Vision Ready is Mission Ready
Our mission is to:
Provide the highest quality of vision care:
- Enhance the readiness of active duty forces by providing the highest possible quality of eye care.
- Provide the same quality of eye care to the families of active duty personnel, retirees, and all others entrusted to our care.
- Ensure the professional development of the Optometry Clinic staff.
- Maintain optimal visual health for operational readiness.
- Strive to maintain and improve the quality of visual care.
- Optimize customer service and satisfaction.
All Active duty are eligible for:
If deployed, all of the above frames plus:
- One frame of choice (metal frame) per year, clear lenses only.
- One standard issue frame (plastic), tinted if occupationally required.
- One standard issue frame, clear.
If Army or working with U.S. Army:
- One MC gas mask insert, clear or one ICE gas mask insert clear.
- One ballistic goggle insert, clear.
- One Uvex insert, clear.
- Two aviator frames, clear. (may substitute one pair frame of choice, clear)
- Two aviator frames, tinted.
- One standard issue frame with clear lenses or one pair of Half-Eyes.
- Dependents are not eligible for glasses, a copy of the prescription will be provided.
REFRACTIVE SURGERY INFORMATION :
- Laser eye surgery i.e. PRK, LASIK is currently being offered only for active duty, at Lackland AFB, San Antonio, TX: Portsmouth, VA;
Bethesda, MD; San Diego, CA; Camp LeJeune, NC; Jacksonville, FL; and Bremerton, WA.
- In order to be considered for surgery, a full eye exam with the/an Optometry Clinic is required. No contact lens wear for 30 days prior.
- You must also be over 21, have a stable prescription, and have a prescription within the defined limits.
FOR MORE INFORMATION VISIT:
BUMED Policy Guidance on LASIK
Contact lens fittings are not a Tricare benefit. However, as a courtesy, we provide contact lens updates for active duty and other beneficiaries, i.e. we renew contact lens prescriptions.