The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act
The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) applies to your protected health information (PHI). Your PHI is any information that:
- Identifies you
- Is about your health or demographics
- Is maintained by a covered entity or business associate; and
- Is related to your treatment, your medical condition, and the related payment for that condition as maintained by a covered entity or business associate.
The HIPAA Privacy Rule provides federal protections for individually identifiable health information held by covered entities and their business associates and gives patients an array of rights with respect to that information. At the same time, the Privacy Rule is balanced so that it permits the disclosure of health information needed for patient care and other important purposes (release form can be found here). To learn more information about Privacy Rule in the DoD visit DHA Privacy and Civil Liberties Office official website.
USNH Yokosuka is committed to protecting your privacy. If you believe USNH Yokosuka has violated the HIPAA Privacy Rule, you may file a written complaint with HIPAA Privacy Officer, the DHA Privacy and Civil Liberties Office, or Health and Human Services. We will not take any action against you for filing a complaint.
- USNH Yokosuka HIPAA Privacy Officer
- COM: 011-81-46-816-8647
- DSN: 315-243-8647
- Fax COM: 011-81-46-816-8976
- Fax DSN: 315-243-8976
- DHA Privacy and Civil Liberties Office
- 7700 Arlington Boulevard Suite 5101
- Falls Church, VA 22042
- COM: 703-275-6363