Submarine IDC Prerequisites
- US Citizenship
- E5-E7 Hospital Corpsman
- 6 years time in service, 4 years time in rate as HM
- Not more than 30 years of age (age waivers accepted)
- Physically qualified for Submarine Duty (per MANMED)
- 60 Hours of documented direct patient care is recommended
- letters of recomendation from a member's Senior Enlisted Leader and a Submarine IDC
- Secret clearance.
- Completion of required NKO courses applicable to this course of instruction (see CANTRAC)
Training is conducted onboard the Naval Submarine Base in Groton, Connecticut. The course of instruction is 63 weeks in total. The Independent Duty Corpsman Curriculum begins after completing 6 weeks of Basic Enlisted Submarine School (BESS) at the Submarine Learning Center on the submarine base.
Upon successful course completion, the new graduate is eligible for meritorious advancement to E6 (GPA of 91 or greater required), a selective reenlistment bonus (SRB) per current directives, and assignment to an independent duty billet onboard an operational submarine.
Special pays includes submarine duty pay (begins the first day of BESS, CONSUB https://www.navycs.com/submarine-pay-chart.html), special duty assignment pay (currently $450.00 monthly while on independent duty), sea pay, and continued submarine pay when returning to shore duty (with incurred PRD OBLISERV).
For additional information and requirements, visit the Catalog of Navy Training Courses (CANTRAC).
For more information about Submarine IDC contact a Squadron.