A Note from your Ombudsman
Hello, I am the NHP Ombudsman and it’s an honor to be serving the men and women of our Armed Forces through the Ombudsman program.
As an Ombudsman, the welfare and readiness of your family is my top priority.
I look forward to helping you and your family in the future should you need the help, Welcome aboard! You may contact me at anytime at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow us on Facebook by searching Naval Hospital Pensacola Ombudsman.
What is the Ombudsman
The Navy Family Ombudsman Program is a Navy wide program established to improve mission readiness through improved family readiness by helping meet the challenges of a military lifestyle. The program helps commanders and commanding officers have a better understanding of the welfare of the command’s families. It also assists commands and families to be better prepared to meet emergency situations.
· Provides communication
· Provides outreach
· Resource referral
· Information resource
· Advocacy to and for command families
History of the Ombudsman
The program was introduced to the U.S. Navy by Z-gram 24 on 14 September 1970 by the Chief of Naval Operations (CNO), Admiral Elmo Zumwalt. This program was adapted from a 19th century Scandinavian custom.
· Serve as liaison between command and command families
· Keep commander aware of general morale, health and welfare of command’s families
· Contact families upon arrival to command
· Communications with families during deployments
· Disseminate information about local military/civilian resources
· Resource for emergency and crisis information
· Immediate action taken when reportable issues or life endangering situations come to their attention
· Adhere to strictest code of confidentiality
· Write/disseminate a newsletter
· Attend Indoctrinations, assembly meetings and command functions
¨ Emergency Number on base: (850) 452-3333
Off base: 911
¨ Fleet & Family Support Center
(FFSC) (850) 452-5991 ext. 3102, 3103 and 3124
¨ MWR (850) 452-3806
¨ Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society (850) 452-2300
(850) 452-3617 ext. 3903
¨ Military Directory
¨ Military OneSource