The Health Professions Loan Repayment Program (HPLRP) provides an incentive to new accessions to enter the Navy, and current active duty medical personnel to extend their active duty commitment through the payment of professional educational loans. The maximum yearly loan repayment is $40,000, minus ~25% federal income taxes, which are taken out prior to lender repayment. Payments are sent directly to the lending institution on behalf of the HPLRP participant. BUMED Note 1110 is published each year and provides guidance for active duty professionals who want to apply for the HPLRP. Assistant Secretary of Defense for Health Affairs (ASD(HA))Policy 08-006 is the authorizing instruction for the HPLRP Program.
To be eligible for this program you must:
- Must be qualified for, or hold an appointment as a commissioned officer in one of the health professions and sign a written agreement to serve on active duty for a prescribed time period.
- Be fully qualified in a health profession that the Secretary of the Navy has determined to be necessary to meet identified skill shortages.
- Must not be a current HPSP or FAP participant.
- Be enrolled as a full-time student in the final year of a course of study at an accredited educational institution leading to a degree in a health profession other than medicine, dentistry, or osteopathic medicine.
- Be enrolled in the final year of an approved residency program leading to specialty qualification in medicine, dentistry, or osteopathic medicine.
Active Duty HPLRP Application Process
Applicants must submit the following information in preparation for professional review board:
- Intent to apply sent via e-mail to the Corps Chief's Office
- Personal/Motivational statement
- Loan Statement/Summary Sheet – Obtain this from your lender or their website (if loans were consolidated, applicant must submit copies of original loan documentation and consolidation document with application package)
- Copy of Licensure and Board Certification/eligibility document
- Officer Summary Record
- Officer Performance Summary Record
- Copies of your last five years of fitness reports; or all, if less than 5 years of service
- Commanding Officer’s endorsement (per the enclosure in BUMED Note 1110)
- Complete application packages, including items 2-8 above, must be sent to the appropriate Corps Office.
- Once selected for the program, submit the lender release form and loan statement from the lenders.
New Accession HPLRP Enrollment Process
Applicants must submit the following information in order to complete their enrollment process:
- CNRC Accession HPLRP Award Letter
- Lender Release Form filled out for each lender
- Loan Statement/Summary Sheet – Obtained from each lender (if loans were consolidated applicant must submit copies of original loan documentation and consolidation document with application package)
- Accession HPLRP Obligated Service Matrix
- Accession HPLRP Contract