NAVY LONG ACTING REVERSIBLE CONTRACEPTION (LARC) TRAINING INITIATIVE
Navy Medicine, in partnership with the Association of Reproductive Heath Professionals and Merck & Co., is conducting one-day training events focused on family planning and long-acting reversible contraception at Navy Medical Treatment Facilities.
Background and Purpose
- Background - Active duty sailors and marines experience unplanned pregnancies at rates consistent with, or somewhat higher than, the very high rates observed among American women of similar age cohorts, and this circumstance has prevailed for many years. Part of the solution is a well-informed Navy healthcare workforce and a Navy health care system featuring easily-accessed, LARC-first, family planning counseling and contraception services.
- Objective - Increase the capacity of Navy Medicine to provide LARC-first family planning counseling and contraception services
- BUMED M3 Letter
- Fact Sheet
CME: ARHP is accredited for CME, CEU, and Pharmacy credits and awards 3 credit hours for completion of the training.
Registration - There are no fees associated with this training. Please see the Registration link and the location-specific Student Factsheets below for more details.
Travel - funding for traveling students is the responsibility of their command. This training is exempt from the BUMED conference-approval process. Please see the Student Factsheets below for more details.
- Training Content -
- All students learn about the incidence of unplanned pregnancy in the U.S. and DoN, and the benefits and risks of intrauterine devices and the hormonal contraceptive implant.
- Credentialed students will be trained to place Paragard, Mirena and Skyla IUDs and certified to place the Nexplanon hormonal implant. Other healthcare team members will receive separate practical experience with these devices.
Training Dates and Locations
- Naval Medical Center Portsmouth VA; 15 Oct 2014 [repeat on 16 Oct 2014]
- Camp Pendleton, CA; 28 Oct 2014
- Naval Medical Center San Diego, CA; 29 Oct 2014
- Jacksonville, FL; 5 Nov 2014
- Mayport, FL; 6 Nov 2014
- Pensacola, FL; 10 March 2015
- NH Camp Lejuene, NC; 14 April 2015 [repeat on 15 April 2015]
- NH Bremerton, WA; 6 May 2015 [repeat on 7 May 2015]
- NH Yokosuka, Japan; 30 Nov 2015
- NH Okinawa; 3 Dec 2015
- NHC Groton, CT; 3 Feb 2016
- NHC Great Lakes, IL; 27 Oct 2016
- NMC San Diego, CA; 15 Feb 2017
- NH Camp Pendleton, CA; 16 Feb 2017
- Naval Hospital Camp Lejeune NC; 12 May 2017
- Naval Medical Center Camp Lejeune NC; 23 Oct 2017
- Naval Hospital Beaufort, SC; 25 Oct 2017
- Naval Hospital Okinawa; 13 Nov 2017
- Naval Hospital Yokosuka; 15 Nov 2017
LARC Champions and Points of Contact - E-mail