An official website of the United States government
Here's how you know
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.


Due to COVID-19, record requests are only available via email. Please do not fax your request at this time. We ask that you email the appropriate paperwork, which is either a Standard Form 180 or a DD form 2870, fully completed and with a valid email to Your requests will be sent electronically via DoD SAFE, a secure access file exchange, and you will have access to the files for seven days after it is sent. Due to the situation, you may experience a delay in receiving your record. Thank you for your patience.


Navy Medicine ensures timely transfer of service treatment records (STRs), commonly referred to as your medical and dental records, to the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) within 45 calendar days in support of Navy veterans filing a VA claim.

Following separation or retirement, these records become a component of your health care documentation.

A complete STR includes:

  •  All service-provided medical and dental documentation
  •  Civilian-provided medical and dental documentation
  •  Service member's electronic health record file (AHLTA Web Print/AWP)
  •  Service treatment record certification (DD Form 2963)

Separating/Retiring Service Members

1. Prior to separation/terminal leave, end of active service (EAS), execution of transitional permissive temporary additional duty (PTAD), or post deployment mobilization respite absence (PDMRA), every Sailor must submit his or her medical and dental record to an appropriate medical department for processing and disposition.

2. Service members are responsible for their STR and must ensure it is in the possession of the appropriate authority at all times. Service members are not permitted to hand carry original copies of their STRs unless authorized. Service members who are authorized to hand carry their STRs must protect the integrity of the information and provide it to the appropriate authority within 48 hours of arrival to a new assignment or transient personnel unit (TPU).

3. You have the right to a copy of the information contained in your DoD Health Record. Before you leave military service, request copies of your health record and your family members’ health records.

​4. If separating or retiring service members need to make a correction to their medical record, they must contact the Board for Correction of Naval Records (BCNR). The BCNR is the highest level of administrative review within the Department of the Navy. Unless procured by fraud, a decision is final and conclusive on all service members of the United States.

Discharged, deceased, or retired on or after 1/1/2014

Veterans who are requesting a copy of their Service Treatment Record (STR) for themselves may submit a completed SF180 or DD2870 to NMRA.

Veterans who want their STR mailed to a third party may submit a completed DD2870 to NMRA.

Retired or Separated Veterans (1995 and prior)

Click here for information about locating Navy records prior to 1995.

Veterans may also access their record on line by registering for a premium account on Click the register button at the top of the home page and follow the instructions provided to obtain a premium account.

Requesting Records from National Personnel Records Center (NPRC)

If a record is located at NPRC St. Louis, Missouri, there are several options to request records or proof of service (DD-214).

To reduce time delay, the Veteran or their next of kin (if the veteran is deceased) should use the eVetRecs request system.

Guidance-Card-Icon Dept-Exclusive-Card-Icon