An official website of the United States government
Here's how you know
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.


NMRA ensures timely transfer of service treatment records (STRs) to the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) within 45 calendar days in support of Navy veterans filing a VA claim.

Following separation or retirement, these records become a component of their health care documentation.

A complete STR includes all service-provided medical and dental documentation, civilian-provided medical and dental documentation, the service member's electronic health record file and a service treatment record certification (DD Form 2963). 
Separating/Retiring Service Members
1.  Prior to end of active service (EAS), execution of Transitional Permissive Temporary Additional Duty (PTAD), Post Deployment Mobilization Respite Absence (PDMRA), or separation/terminal leave, every Sailor must submit his or her medical and dental record to appropriate medical department for processing and disposition.
2.  Separating and retiring service members may request one complete copy of their STR 30 calendar days prior to the date of their final out-processing appointment.  Only one copy is authorized.  The copy can be provided as a hard-copy record or in electronic or digital media format, whichever the member requests.  Note: This copy is for the service member‘s personal use, not for the VA as they require the record in electronic format.  Service members are only authorized one complete copy free of charge.  Service member will not receive another copy (free of charge) if they give their copy to the VA.
3.  If separating or retiring service members need to make a correction to their medical record, they must contact the Board for Correction of Naval Records (BCNR). The Board for Correction Of Naval Records is the highest level of administrative review within the Department of the Navy. Unless procured by fraud, a decision is final and conclusive on all officers of the United States.

Records Requests / Release of Information
Discharged, deceased, or retired on or after 1/1/2014
Veterans who are requesting a copy of their Service Treatment Record (STR) for themselves may submit a completed SF180 or DD2870 (Nov 2023) to NMRA.

Veterans who want their STR mailed to a third party may submit a completed DD2870 (Nov 2023) and DD3130 (Aug 2023) to NMRA.
Official Military Personnel Records (OMPF) Requests
NMRA does not release information on SM OMPF.  Please contact Naval Personnel Command:
Navy Personnel Command
5720 Integrity Drive
Millington TN 38055-3120

DSN: 882-4885 or COM: 901-874-4885
Veterans (Retired or Separated) (1995 and Prior)
See our helpful link on How to Locate Navy Records (Personnel and Medical).

(Veterans may also access their record on line by registering for a premium account on Click the register button at the top of the home page and follow the instructions provided to obtain a premium account. If you have questions or problems with eBenefits, mouse over the HELP button on the top of the home page and then select CUSTOMER SUPPORT and follow the instruction provided.)
Requesting Records from National Personnel Records Center (NPRC)
If the records are located at the NPRC St. Louis, Missouri, there are several options to request records or proof of service (DD-214).  See NPRC’s website on “How to Request Military Service Records or Prove Military Service
  • Use the eVetRecs request system
  • Mail or Fax Standard Form SF-180  (The SF 180 from this website is an Adobe .PDF file.  To view and print this file, obtain the free Adobe Acrobat reader if you don’t have it)
To reduce time delay, the Veteran or their next of kin (if the veteran is deceased) should use the eVetRecs request system.
Questions related to NRPC website:  See NPRC FAQ's.
NMRA mailing address:
Navy Medicine Records Activity
BUMED Detachment
1222 Spruce Street, Rm 9.308
Saint Louis, MO  63103
Phone number:  314-260-8120
Records Requests/Release of Information:

Guidance-Card-Icon Dept-Exclusive-Card-Icon