An official website of the United States government
Here's how you know
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.


HPSP/NADDS/FAP/NCP Transitioning to Active Duty


First Step (Initial Documents). Congratulations as you prepare to embark on your active military service in the Navy! In order to get your initial pay entitlements started in a timely fashion, you are asked to complete the attached form-fillable documents. There are examples provided to help you complete the forms. First, type in the requested information, then print the completed documents, and then sign them in black ink. Next, take a photo of each document and convert it to .pdf format using an application of your choosing, e.g., Genius Scan, Turbo Scan. Each document should be a separate file. Finally, in a single email, please attach and send the separate document files to our functional mailbox at Transaction Service Center (TSC) Great Lakes: Title the email as follows: HPSP Documents ICO “Your Name.” Please complete and send the documents as soon as possible, but no later than 30 April. Beginning 1 April, we will send you a weekly reminder to complete and send documents to those who have not yet done so. If you are confused by any of the blocks on the forms and the examples do not answer your question(s) or if you have any other questions, you may call TSC Great Lakes at 847-688-5550 x458 or x457 from 8 am to 4pm (CST). From 4 pm to 9 pm (CST), you may call 224-572-3257. Failing to submit forms/documents in each of these steps at the appropriate time will significantly delay the start of your active duty pay and other entitlements. There are FIVE signed documents that should be submitted in this initial group (do not complete the Travel Report form or submit it until you arrive at your duty station).

Note: The TSC Great Lakes functional mailbox is authorized to receive Personally Identifiable Information (PII). Once you have successfully submitted any emails to it with PII attached (including those in later steps), it is recommended that you delete the submitted email and photos of the documents so that they do not remain on your cell phone should your cell phone be lost, stolen, or hacked.

Second Step (Commissioning Document). On the day you hold your commissioning ceremony and sign your Oath of Office (in wet ink), take a photo of the signed Oath, convert it to a .pdf file, and send it to the functional mailbox listed in the first step. Title the email HPSP Oath ICO “Your Name”. Do not travel to your initial duty station without signing and dating your Oath of Office! Failing to do so may cause a loss of travel entitlements. Your NTAG or NRD must still submit the Oath of Office to be included in your Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). This .pdf is used only as a supporting document to start your initial pay and allowances.

Third Step (What to Bring when you check in). Bring a hard copy of your accession orders and a blank copy of the “Travel Report” Form (attached TSC Great Lakes form 1610/22) with you on the morning you report to your initial duty station. Also, bring with you hard copies of supporting documents that show your dependents, if any (e.g., marriage certificate, your child’s birth certificate, divorce decree showing custody arrangements and child support). It is recommended that you purchase a Common Access Card (CAC) reader (insure it is supports military CAC cards), prior to reporting and bring it with you, especially for those with dependents. Once you have your active duty military identification card, called a CAC, the CAC reader will allow you to enter certain military websites. It may often take weeks to gain access to military computer systems and using a CAC reader will allow you to complete documentation required to start your housing allowance for those with dependents weeks earlier. Of course, you will need a non-government laptop or similar device and a non-government Wi-Fi connection when using the CAC and CAC reader. CAC readers are available for less than $15 online and will often be useful throughout your career.

Fourth Step (Reporting Onboard). Your initial duty station will “endorse” the first page of your hard copy accession orders by signing and dating them. Once the orders are endorsed, take a cell phone photo of the endorsed first page. Fill out and sign in black ink the “Travel Report” form (TSC Great Lakes from 1620/22). Take a photo of the completed and signed form. Convert each of these two photos to two separate .pdf files. Send another email to the TSC Great Lakes functional mailbox listed in the first step above, attaching the two .pdf files. Title the email HPSP Travel Documents ICO “Your Name.” All new HPSP officers will initially have SINGLE housing allowance started to get a minimum housing allowance started.

Fifth Step (CAC and Dependent Housing Allowance). While all new active duty officers will be receiving a military (CAC) identification card, new officers with dependents should be prioritized over single interns to receive their CAC. The CAC is essential in the steps required to start your dependent housing allowance, if entitled. Once you have a CAC, you will need to create an NSIPS Self-Service Account. As mentioned in step 3, you may not yet have access to military computer systems. If you do not have access to military computer systems, you will need to use a CAC reader, non-government laptop or similar device, and non-government Wi-Fi. Guidance on creating an NSIPS Self-Service account is attached and available on the HPSP website. Once you have created an NSIPS Self-Service account, you will need to create and submit a Record of Emergency Data (RED) and Dependency Application (DA), see attached guidance. The RED/DA and supporting documentation (e.g., marriage certificate) is required to start the dependent housing allowance.
Once the RED/DA is submitted, it will be reviewed by TSC Great Lakes. If it is inaccurate or is missing required documentation, it will be returned to you via NSIPS, so check NSIPS the first few days following submission. Once approved, dependent housing allowance will be started, if entitled. If a housing allowance as a SINGLE officer has already been sent or earmarked for your banking account, in your next pay check you will be paid for the difference between single and dependent housing allowance, if entitled, back to the active duty start date, which is the day official travel commenced to the initial duty station. Guidance on creating the RED/DA is also available regarding RED/DA submissions on the NSIPS website.


Guidance-Card-Icon Dept-Exclusive-Card-Icon