Prevention Services for the STI Patient
For assistance with sexual health promotion, contact: NMCPHC-SHARP via email or call 757-953-0974 (DSN 377)
1. Policies and Tools.
2. HIV-STI Prevention Counseling.
Each patient diagnosed with, or identified to be at increased risk for, a sexually transmitted infection (including HIV), should receive intensive risk-reduction counseling following an evidence-based model.
- Prevention Counseling Desk-top Assistant . This document outlines the steps in the process, following the evidence-based RESPECT model.
- MSM HIV Risk Scoresheet. Scoresheet for HIV PrEP consideration for the MSM patient (from the CDC HIV PrEP CPG-Provider's Supplenet)This document outlines the steps in the process, following the evidence-based RESPECT model.
- Navy Training Film "HIV-STI Prevention Counseling" (NMCPHC - 2013) Demonstrates the 6 steps of working with the STI patient to reduce future risk behavior.
- Condom skills counseling video (NMCPHC)
- Interview Form (CDC). This document is one option for capturing important information during your counseling session. This worksheet can be shredded after the information is entered into ALHTA, DRSi and the Contact Notification Form (one per partner).
3. HIV-STI Sexual Partner Services.
Recent sexual partners of patients infected with some STIs should be informed of their potential exposure and be offered testing and treatment.
Reporting case data, risk data and sexual partner follow-up data in DRSi ( a.k.a. NDRSi; a.k.a. MER )
5. Promoting Sexual Health in Military Population.
Preventive Medicine and Health Promotion are tasked to promote sexual health within their populations.