EXPOSURE MONITORING COURSE
The Introduction to Industrial Hygiene for Exposure Monitors & Industrial Hygiene Technicians Course is an introduction to the concepts, theory, and terminology associated with industrial hygiene. The course instruction provides students with a broad range of information including sampling methods, sampling equipment and media, and industrial hygiene calculations. In addition, Navy instructions, OSHA and ACGIH standards, and other agency regulations are discussed. The 5-day course is taught in a classroom setting by the NMCPHC Industrial Hygiene staff. Students must pass the final exam on the last day to receive a certificate of completion. The course is intended for exposure monitors, industrial hygiene technicians, and junior/inexperienced industrial hygienists/industrial hygiene officers (IHOs) . It is not designed for the experienced professional industrial hygienists/IHOs or those with advanced degrees in industrial hygiene. Quota priority for the course will be given to monitors, technicians, or inexperienced/junior personnel needing the course.
- July 20-24, 2020 (Camp Pendleton, CA) CANCELLED
- September 21-25, 2020 (Virtual) NO AVAILABLE SEATS
- January 2021 (Virtual) TENTATIVE
*For ALL courses, registration is via NMCPHC Portsmouth. Send the EMC Application, Quota Request and Math Pre-Test to NMCPHC Portsmouth VA as usual.
Quota Requests and Prerequisites
To receive a quota, send application, quota request letter, and math pre-test to the address below or scan the documents and email to usn.hampton-roads.navmcpubhlthcenpors.list.nmcphc-EMC@mail.mil.
- EMC Application (16.19 KB) (Course application to be endorsed by student's command)
- Quota Request (22.00 KB) (Quota request to be on command letterhead)
- Math Pre-Test (202.29 KB) (Math pre-test to be completed by the prospective student)
Navy and Marine Corps Public Health Center
620 John Paul Jones Circle, Suite 1100
ATTN: IH DEPT
Portsmouth, VA 23708-2103
If time does not permit mailing, the documents can be FAXed to (757) 953-0689.
Additional questions may be directed to (757) 953-1117.
Course Policies and Useful Information
Course enrollment is generally limited to the following personnel:
- Civilian GS Series 0640 (Health Technician - IH), or 0019 (Safety Technician).
- Active Duty or reserve E-6 or below, currently assigned as an Industrial Hygiene Technician or Safety Petty Officer, under the direct supervision of an Industrial Hygienist/IHO.
- Junior/inexperienced Industrial Hygienist/IHO.
Others will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
To ensure the 10 student minimum enrollment for the course is met, cancellations must be made by e-mail to usn.hampton-roads.navmcpubhlthcenpors.list.nmcphc-EMC@mail.mil, 10 working days prior to the first day of class. Commands will be notified when students do not comply.
Scheduling Travel Plans for the Last Day of the Course:
The last day of the course begins at 0800 with a four-hour hands-on ventilation exercise. An hour review starts after lunch and is followed by the final exam that takes most students two hours to complete (ending at approximately 1600). We suggest you book any flights much later than this time since the airlines ask travelers to arrive 1 hour prior to flight times. Our location is a good distance from the airport and the tunnel traffic situation is ALWAYS unpredictable.